Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Full vs. Short-handed

For the past several days, my poker theme has been something like this: lose a ton of money early and then scramble to try and get back even; then lose another ton of money and try and scramble to get back even; repeat over and over and...you get the idea.

As soon as I build up a nice bankroll, I lose it all. It all starts with some horrible bad beats, then cold cards, and then terrible play on my part.

But for some reason, during the past few weeks, the 3/6 games have just been unbeatable for me. I've been very careful in my table selection, and I've been playing tighter than I would at a no limit table. But no matter what I do, I just end up losing my buy-in over and over again to some horrible suck outs. My pocket rockets (which I've raised/reraised with preflop four times) always end up getting drawn out on. It doesn't matter what my hand is, it just can't win.

Well, you might think that it's because people are just calling me because they have better pot odds in limit hold'em. Not true. Even when I've destroyed the pot odds for people chasing open-ended straight draws or with a four-flush, they still call! Even if they're only getting 3 to 1 on their money for an inside-straight draw, they will call and hit it on the river! And of course, whenever I'm chasing, I never hit my draw.

I know I sound like a whiner. But I just can't figure these terrible limit hold'em players out. I'm gonna have to get over 450 times the big bet to ever sit properly at a limit hold'em table again. I just keep losing buy-in after buy-in at these fish-rich tables.

On the other hand, the short-handed no limit tables are where I've been making my money. Sure, I've suffered some terrible suckouts there, but it's a little easier for me there. I can just read the table better. Never would I be able to lay down pocket queens preflop in a full limit game like I do at a short-handed no limit game. I mean, they make it that obvious.

Anyway, enough ranting. Good luck at the tables.

4 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger TripJax said...

Seems like my ring game play is basically get down big early then have a 5 minute run of big hands where I get back to even or a little up. Then I'm so scared to keep going I quit playing and wait for the next day where it is more of the same. Cash games have proven to be too stressuful to me so I've stuck to tournaments and SNG's. At least I know the most I can lose and the most I can win right away...

Of course, when I get bored with tourneys I'm right back in stress of ring games looking for some action. Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Good luck on the felt. Like your blog so I'm linking you up today...

TripJax
Poker In Arrears

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous texas hold em poker said...

test

 
At 5:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... »

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... film editing classes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home